Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

wav vs mp3

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dj dream

dj dream

Male Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2007-05-26

wav vs mp3 Empty
PostSubject: wav vs mp3   wav vs mp3 I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2007, 6:46 am

hi guys.im just burning a cd off for tonights gig,as you do.new tunes junkie as i am.but im finding myself in a bit of a dilema.im a tad fussy about what i actually put on my cd`s.quality wise that is.i have several versions of the same tune,same remix.,same running time ect,but since i have files ranging from 160,192,320 kps,im unsure as to which version to put on my cd.for a start the 160 file sounds crisper in general than the 320 file,which in thoery should be better than the 160.but,the 192 file has overall better bass.they all have their plus points and negatives.honestly,ive been sitting here for half an hour deciding which version to burn to cd.and i still cant.for what its worth,track being that lollipop one.yes i know.i already play a version burnt previously,but thats not the point.
this is.how about we have a section somewhere where we can upload/download the original wav of a tune.the original rip from the cd.we have an mp3 section.why not a wave or a masters section?yup i know the file will be big,but if we upload all the aces and no shit,surely it would be worth doing.anybody anything more to add?modz?thoughts opinions?
since our pirates hat is already well and truly on on d.e. is there much difference if we put a few jewels in our crowns?if you get my drift!
over to the guys....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/remadee2008
djretro

djretro

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2007-06-03

wav vs mp3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: wav vs mp3   wav vs mp3 I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2007, 11:01 am

Mr Dream how particular you are lol. I'm not sure if it makes much difference when burnt to disc as I'm as you know a laptop jock. Ive played 128kb/s tracks on a 30k sound system using the laptops on board sound card and it sounded great. Maybe cos i'm and old fart and my ears are well knacked but I cant tell the diff between 128kb/s and 320kb/s maybe if u switch between 2 identical tracks with different bit rates while listening on sum top range headphones u can but fortunately enough I dont know any clubs that hands out headphones on entry haha.
Can u imagine the flyer ...Club blah this sat £10 on the door gets you a free bottle of vk and a pair of Sony MDR V700's. lol!
Back to top Go down
']['RACK)v(ASTERDJ

Male Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2007-05-18

wav vs mp3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: wav vs mp3   wav vs mp3 I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2007, 7:18 pm

When a file is first uploaded on a persons pc seems to be the key to how well it sounds (the player used to upload) if they uploaded it at least 128 birate. I use musicmatch which I can select from 128,160,192,224,320....I usually select 192 but if somebody copies it (downloads it) and ups the birate to 320 it probably not going to sound any better unless they did sometime to it like eq'd it or increase the volume with some other program (like a mixing software)...... now if you have a song thats recorded to loud and has a hiss scratchy sound on certain words then upping the birate to 320 might or might not help by spacing the wave spikes out a little farther... if I uploaded at 128 from a cd and then took same file that I just up loaded and changed it to 320... then there's still not much difference because I recorded it to my pc from cd orginally to 128, but vice versa if I recorded it at 224 or 320 and then lowered its birate to 128 then yes there does seem to be a little quality difference...
Back to top Go down
BeePM
MixMaster
MixMaster
BeePM

Male Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2007-05-18

wav vs mp3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: wav vs mp3   wav vs mp3 I_icon_minitimeJune 12th 2007, 10:53 am

It's not just the bitrate that you rip at that is important with regards to quality.

The type of encoder you use will make a hell of a difference when ripping.

As much as possible go for the Faunhoffer before Lame.

Also a lot of people are concerned with saving space, so they normally go for VBR (variable bitrate), but for me the space saved is negligible where the drop in sound quality is definitely noticeable.

Personally i always choose CBR (Constant bitrate), no loss of quality.

Also, if you have a file at a lesser bitrate, upping it to a higher one will make no difference at all to the quality, the size of the file will just be bigger.

You can't put back what isn't there. No

Also, about the wave debate. Wave is quickly being replaced with .ape and flac which are both lossless compression, so you still save space, but not at the expense of sound quality.

Also, if you do have a hissy / scratchy recording, then the best plugins around to repair this are by Waves. I have been ripping my oldskool vinyl for ages now. some of it is in a pretty bad state, but then it did get battered back in the days. Twisted Evil

It still amazes me at how good a job the Waves vinyl restoration plugins do.

I have built a multi plugin in soundforge's chainer.

The chain is

De-crackle - De-hiss - De-click - De-hum and then a normalizer and a maximiser.

The job it does on vinyl that would normally be relegated to the bin has to be heard to be believed.
Back to top Go down
dj dream

dj dream

wav vs mp3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: wav vs mp3   wav vs mp3 I_icon_minitimeJune 13th 2007, 7:18 am

thing is paul,i was using a pair of expensive headphones while writing the post.my new sennheisers!yup,im a hi quality freak!personally i dont care how big a file is as long as the quality is there.thats why i actually buy the cd of a track if i can get it,then i delete all the mp3 versions of said tune ive downloaded.and then play off cd.laptop dj`s.tut tut.lol.
Back to top Go down
djretro

djretro

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2007-06-03

wav vs mp3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: wav vs mp3   wav vs mp3 I_icon_minitimeJune 13th 2007, 11:45 am

Buy the cd and delete your mps'3 ? Why Mr Dream what a big nose you have. At least you have somewhere to hang you Sennheisers. Ha Ha Ha.

I believe in quality too Im just saying I think there is a cut off point where you notice the difference and when the bass is blowing your balls off anyway..... As for the arguments I hear about analogue sounding better than digital most club's amp rooms convert the audio into digital anyway for processing and compression !

Ooooo I love these forums lol
Back to top Go down
dj dream

dj dream

wav vs mp3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: wav vs mp3   wav vs mp3 I_icon_minitimeJune 14th 2007, 9:08 am

less about my nose.big nose.who you calling big nose,big nose.classic! dont even get me started on analoge vs digital mate.or itll be the vinyl vs cd debate within a week!nah,think about it tho.if you buy the proper release cd of a track,you are getting the producers exact sound of how they wanted it to sound when it came out of their studio,as a master recording.sometimes at least.apart from the mastering process that is.which is another story again.i know what i mean anyway.and i know what i like!you could go on forever with this one,i agree.even 2 different models of cd players used in a club could and probably do sound different.never mind a crappy sound card on a laptop.so where do you draw the line?probably here!!!my original point was,if one recalls,was simply that i think there should be a wave/masters section in d.e somewhere.so stop distracting me and sidetrackin the point!!!!!!!!!!upload some whopping great big files ripped straight of a cd thats been nowhere near an mp3 converter!!!!

please.

just for me

you know you want to...

dont cha?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

wav vs mp3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: wav vs mp3   wav vs mp3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

wav vs mp3
Page 1 of 1